Clients include Shell, the International Council on Mining & Metals, Conservation International,
Camborne School of Mines, the Eden Project-Rio Tinto partnership,
British Geological Survey, International Tin Research Institute, Sweetwater Environmental
Services, SRK and the International Petroleum Industry Environmental
Recent projects include work related to large, medium and small-scale base and precious metal
mines, quarrying and coal mining operations, small and medium-scale gemstone mining, and oil &
gas extraction and transport.
Further information on each of the projects noted below is available by request - please email
Environmental and Social Issues
- Analysis of the environmental impacts of small-scale silver and gem mining.
- Assessment of the environmental impacts of river mining in Jamaica.
- Input to major Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for two proposed bauxite
mines in Suriname.
- Development of training materials on site selection and biodiversity issues in the oil
and gas sector.
- Guidance on the integration of biodiversity issues into Environmental Management
Systems for mining companies.
- Integration of biodiversity issues into the management practices used by oil and gas
operations (including work on biodiversity indicators, Environmental Management Systems,
Environmental Impact Assessments, site selection, and development of good practice).
- Scoping paper on biodiversity indicators.
- Scoping paper on Biodiversity Action Plans.
Strategic Environmental Assessment
- Determination of relevant environmental factors for Strategic Environmental Assessment
in the quarrying industry.
- Assessment of treatment options for acid rock drainage and processing effluents at two mine
sites in Chile.
- Detailed laboratory assessment of an innovative water treatment technology.
- Preparation of treatment programme for Cr-VI contaminated wastes in China.
- Technical assistance for marketing of novel water and waste treatment technologies in Peru,
Chile and China.
- Development of a distance learning teaching module on the remediation of contaminated land.
- Development of guide to web-based biodiversity information.
- Review of environmental performance indicators - theoretical and practical aspects.
- Assessment of centres of excellence and networks conducting research on mining, sustainable
development and post-operation restoration and regeneration.
- Assessment of environmental applications of inorganic waste materials.